So I started taking photos for a "how to bake bacon tutorial", but it ended up being a bacon kimchi fried rice recipe instead. So here's the deal, baking bacon is by far the most efficient way to cook bacon. Anyone that tells you different is a fool because oil doesn't splatter in your face giving you unwanted grease hickies, and the bacon doesn't curl. The bacon ends up being nice and crispy on both sides without you even flipping them.
Get good bacon. None of that cheap already cooked shit. Get thick cut, obviously because as everyone knows it's not the length, its about girth. If you have the option go to a butcher shop, it's definitely worth it.
Spread an aluminum sheet over a baking tray, and then spread bacon over the sheet. Be sure to give the bacon a little room to breathe between pieces.
When the bacon comes out of the oven you'll be able to see how much it shrinks. Your kitchen will also smell amazing.
I started cooking brown rice for health reasons, but it does go really well with greasy foods. Something you pick up after having enough chicken adobo.
I didn't crush the bacon and mix it with the rice because it usually ends up getting soggy. I like my bacon to be super crispy and crunchy.
- Thick Cut Bacon - 1 lb (the more the better)
- Kim Chi - 6-ish tablespoons
- Brown Rice - 1⅔ cups of uncooked (to offset the greasy bacon)
- Scallions - 1/2 cup of scallions
- Sesame Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Eggs - 2
This recipe will serve 5 people
- Turn the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Without waiting for the oven to preheat, put the rack of bacon into the oven
- When oven is done preheating, set timer for 10-15 min. Keep an eye on the bacon after 10 minutes because you don't want burnt ass bacon.
- put the rice in a pot and rinse and wash the rice
- discard water
- stick your finger in the pot rice till it touches the bottom of the pot, and fill pot with water until the waterline reaches slightly above your first finger joint
- turn stove to medium, and set timer for 40 minutes
- Skip all above steps if you have a rice cooker.
- When rice and bacon are done, take two teaspoons of bacon fat and add it to a pan. Bring pan close to smoking point and add rice. Fry rice for 5 minutes. Make a circle and add eggs, and scramble eggs, then incorporate with rice. Add kimchi and kimchi juice, stir and fry rice for another 3 minutes until it is not wet anymore. Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with scallions.